Sarah Palin Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The Lonliness of the Bluestate Conservative (or PUMA)"on Americanthinker.com

3 posters

Go down

"The Lonliness of the Bluestate Conservative (or PUMA)"on Americanthinker.com Empty "The Lonliness of the Bluestate Conservative (or PUMA)"on Americanthinker.com

Post  SweetNightmare Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:15 pm

Hey again...As I have previously stated, I sometimes pop in Americanthinker.com to see what sorts of new articles are posted and to read comments. This one struck myself as well as many, many others and hit very close to home. I do not take credit for this article, please give credit where it is due, to Judy Gruen. It is originally about us conservatives surrounded by the vast sea of blue, or the "red dot in the blue state" but I am sure many of you Hillary supporters/PUMAs can also relate to some of the horrific events of the Obots, so we can also say the "Orange dot in the blue state" as well Wink. Here is this quoted article below, the original as well as comments can be found at:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/09/the_loneliness_of_the_bluestat.html

Article:
Hours after I slapped a McCain bumper sticker on my car, somebody tore it off in the parking lot of a local courthouse. No problem; I had bought a pack of ten and replaced it when I got home. I laughed when I thought that whoever had done it probably claims to support "diversity."

Perhaps it was the shock of seeing a McCain sticker in very blue Los Angeles, where such sightings were rare, that caused the individual to rip it off. I had certainly seen very, very few, and not a single McCain lawn sign. Meanwhile, Obama bumper stickers seem to be standard equipment on every Prius in the land. Yes, I was feeling every bit the lonely Republican.

About a week later, I also felt scared. While driving in my neighborhood one afternoon, I was suddenly distracted by the sight of the driver behind me, threateningly close on my tail. She was screaming and was very clearly thrusting the finger at me. (You know, the rude one.) She alternated this gesture with making an "M" with her other fingers, and jabbing them as well.

I knew I had not cut into her lane or violated any other rules-of-the-road etiquette. I could come to only one conclusion: my McCain sticker was causing road rage! I was consoled by the fact that, as an extreme liberal, she probably didn't have a gun on her. On the other hand, she seemed dangerous, and I wanted an exit strategy faster than the one Obama wants for Iraq. I pulled over as soon as I could to let her pass and get to her anger management session, but instead of speeding away from me and my odious political convictions, she pulled up alongside of me, still screaming and gesturing. I pretended to look impassive, but by the time she finally drove off, emitting more than just greenhouse gasses, she wasn't the only one who needed calming down.

Unfortunately, I was not much safer at home. I went to check the latest discussions on my writers' group online, and Palin-mania was at fever pitch. New discussion threads included "Latest Palin Scandal: Better than Desperate Housewives!," "Say No to Palin," "Palin Favors Book Banning!" "Father of Bristol's Baby: I Don't Want Kids!," "Palin Hubby DUI Arrest," "Huffington Post on Palin," "Gloria Steinem on Palin," and "Quick Guide to Palin Deceptions." These were only a few of the day's rantings, and many of the discussions drew astonishingly large numbers of responses relative to the size of the membership.

I knew from past experience that election time was no fun for the few conservatives like me in this group, but nothing in the past compared to this fever swamp. I found the Palin-bashing ironic, coming as it did from "feminists" who undoubtedly championed other whistle-blowers, like Erin Brockovitch, but Palin's fighting of an old-boy network was dismissed as something that probably didn't happen. Their reactions were hysterical and catty, underscoring some of the most endemic stereotypes of women.

I was stunned not only by the number of anti-Palin posts, but also the vehemence. "The more I get to know her, the more I loathe her," posted one graduate of the Daily Kos Academy. "The more I get to know her, the more I like her," I shot back, with my invisible flak jacket and helmet.

It would have been impossible and futile to try to fight the gossip gallery, but I couldn't resist posting my own fascination with the group's Palin-bashing: "What is this frenzy about?" I asked. "If you loathe her politics, fine and fair, but these smears, so many of which are quickly being proven untrue, is nearly unprecedented in my memory, and I've been watching politics for a long time. I am particularly struck by this in a group of writers, who understand the need to get facts right before 'reporting' them. Unfortunately for those on the left, the more bias and dirt that's thrown her way, the more money and support the Republican ticket gets."

This point was immediately shot down by someone who noted that there were lots of rumors about Obama spread by the right, such as that he was a Muslim, and that, let's see, he was a Muslim. The Amen choir immediately sang out, and I disengaged from the discussion.

After a few days of this, the moderator wisely created a new group devoted entirely to politics. This was cheerful news, and we few conservatives could safely visit the main discussion groups without being subjected to "Palin Speaks in Tongues!" message headers.

But the political junkie in me couldn't resist lurking one day, and I saw that the new political group was a little lonely. It had become an echo chamber. One of the more thoughtful leftists, who had tried to educate me via private email on the value of community organizers, sent out a call for the thoughts of conservatives, and I believed her to be both sincere and fair-minded. A few of us responded that it felt pointless to share our views with an audience so angry, so ready to pounce on anything we said, so gleefully trafficking in despicable rumors about Sarah Palin.

I think some minimal good has come of all this. The tone calmed down for a few days, long enough for we few, proud and brave conservatives (we estimate there may be as many as 10 of us, out of a group of at least 100) to try to explain our positions in response to questions. ("Just what do you mean by 'big government?" "Why do you think that Democrats don't support national defense?") But we got tired quickly, since it was clear that most of the questioners really didn't care what we had to say. Since then, nearly all posts on their political board are all Palin-bashing, all the time. I think the best outcome may have been that a few of the more open-minded leftists learned to have a little respect for the conservatives as people more evolved than merely wild-eyed knuckle-scrapers.

I also feel less lonely now. Since Palin-mania broke out, I've seen more McCain stickers, and even lawn signs are bravely popping up in this very blue neighborhood. And when I think back to my little road rage incident, I laugh at my own fear. After all, that woman was probably just a harmless member of my writers' group.

Judy Gruen's latest award-winning book is The Women's Daily Irony Supplement.

SweetNightmare

Back to top Go down

"The Lonliness of the Bluestate Conservative (or PUMA)"on Americanthinker.com Empty Re: "The Lonliness of the Bluestate Conservative (or PUMA)"on Americanthinker.com

Post  4Sarah Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:38 pm

I don't have a bumper sticker, but today was the first day I have been out of the house since going to the Palin rally in Carson on Saturday, so I proudly put on my big McCain/Palin 08 button and went to the grocery store. Being that I live in CALIFORNIA I was ready for some sour and discusted looks directed my way. I didn't care. sunny I was feeling rather empowered. If Sarah could be a happy spirit considering all the arrows slung her way...so could I! I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't get any nasty looks, and even got a few smiles and a couple thumbs ups. cheers cheers cheers

Last week going down Highway 50 here in Cali... I saw a NoBama sticker. I can't tell you how HAPPY cheers that little sticker made me feel. Suddenly I was not alone. I wonder how many closet McCain/Palin people there actually are. sunny

Okay, I am kinda OLD. I was a teen when Nixon/Kennedy ran. I was a Kennedy gal back then. Just about EVERYBODY had car bumper stickers in that race. Times have changed and people are meaner. No one would key your car back then.
4Sarah
4Sarah

Back to top Go down

"The Lonliness of the Bluestate Conservative (or PUMA)"on Americanthinker.com Empty Re: "The Lonliness of the Bluestate Conservative (or PUMA)"on Americanthinker.com

Post  Nariman Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Yah, I live in Southern California, and I jokingly said to a friend that I was going to get a stack of Palin/McCain stickers and put them on my car. Before I finished my sentence my friend just looked at me and shook his head w/ the most solemn look on his face. Because he knew I'd probably have gotten my bumper ripped off, if not something much worse, it wasn't even a joking matter to him.

I actually live in a conservative city as far as California goes, unfortunately it's a small red dot surrounded by a sea of blue cities like long beach, and hawaiian gardens. It's sad that I can't openly show my support for a candidate without having to worry about my well being. Times have definitely changed 4Sarah.

I still believe in the Palin/McCain ticket bringing the parties together. Just have to let the Obama supporters calm down a little after they lose the election.

Nariman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down